1. Your Privacy
Business Environment Council Limited (“BEC”, “we”, “our” or “us”) respects your legal rights of privacy when collecting, storing, using and transmitting personal data and this Privacy statement explains our privacy practices. It is our policy to comply with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486) of the Laws of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
Please read the following carefully to understand our policy and practices regarding how your personal data will be treated. This policy applies to all registered and unregistered users of the website and may from time to time be revised, or otherwise changed where we deem necessary.
2. Purposes for Which We will Use Your Personal Data
We collect your personal data when you register as a user of the website, or register for a BEC event or BEC co-organised event or BEC supported event.
The purposes for which we may use your personal data are divided into obligatory purposes and voluntary purposes. If personal data is to be used for an obligatory purpose, you MUST provide your personal data to us for us to provide the service for which you are applying. If personal data is only to be used for a voluntary purpose, you can tell us not to use your personal data for that purpose and we will not do so.
Purposes for which it is obligatory for you to provide your personal data are:
(1) application, termination and continuation of the use of the website and registration for BEC events, BEC co-organised events or BEC supported events;
(2) registering for membership or dealing with membership matters;
(3) processing billing and payment;
(4) handling and following up service calls, enquiries and complaints;
(5) verification of your identity; and
(6) to enable us to better understand the demographics of our registered users.
We will retain your personal data so collected for our future marketing purposes and/or joint promotion with co-organisers or partners or third parties. If you do not want us to use your personal data for such purpose, please inform us by email.
The purpose for which it is only voluntary for you to provide personal data is for our future marketing purposes and/or joint promotion with co-organisers or partners or third parties. If you do not want us to use your personal data for the said voluntary purpose, please inform us by email.
In cases where we do collect personal data from you, we will take all practicable steps to keep your personal data confidential but we may transfer/assign such data to the following parties:
(1) any agent, contractor or third party service provider who provides administrative, telecommunications, computer and other services to BEC with respect to our operation; and
(2) any partners, co-organisers or third party who jointly promote or organised events with us.
4. Retention of Data
We will keep your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose for which the data was collected. Personal data which is no longer required will be destroyed.